Church bells, history
Chronology of the manufacture and maintenance of bells in Penshurst Church
First bells by John Kebyll of London 1460-80.
Tenor bell cast by Joseph Hatch of Ulscombe, Kent 1619.
Fourth bell cast by Richard Phelips, Whitechapel 1701.
‘Setting up of the chimes’ 1732
Sets of bell ropes, 1769, 1800
Two more bells supplied by Thomas Mears, Whitechapel 1802
Recasting and addition of bells, now eight in total 1896
repairs and overhaul of bells by Whitechapel Bell Foundry 1973 – cost of £1,350.